1: Knowledge and understanding
We at Mayhews understand that you are our priority and believe that it is essential to get to know you from the very beginning of the process.
Whether you are first time landlord, an experienced landlord with a portfolio or a landlord that doesn’t live locally; we aim to fully understand the reasons behind your proposed rental investment to compose an effective marketing package that reflects your needs.
We will visit your home at a time that suits you to complete an initial consultation. An accurate appraisal is essential in assessing your property correctly; the location, style, number of rooms, and furnishings will all be taken into consideration. We then incorporate local market trends and key external factors such as:
- The type of tenant the property appeals to? (couples ,families, corporate)
- The demand for your style of property within the local area?
- Good transport links and amenities
- Desirability of local schools
- Regeneration and redevelopment in the surrounding area
During our meeting we will also present and discuss our research of comparable evidence of similar properties recently let in the area. Showing you we are reassuringly thorough when it comes to letting your property.
After our meeting we will send you a letter detailing our discussions and offer advice and guidance about how you could enhance your property to help maximise its rental price.
2: Legislation and protection
As a licensed lettings agency, it is our duty to keep up-to-date with the latest lettings industry legislation. That means we can advise all our landlords on their legal responsibilities for keeping their tenants safe from harm, by making sure their property and its contents (if furnished) meet the UK's legal safety standards.
Some of the most common discussion points include:
- EPC (Energy Performance Certificate)
- Gas and Electric safety regulations
- Smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors legislation
- Legionella risk assessment
- Landlord obligations
- Tenants’ obligations
- Landord and tenant insurance cover
When you instruct us to advise and help you, Mayhews will ensure you are protected at all times.
3: 24 hour marketing
The meaning of true happiness may well be the perfect tenant! At Mayhews, we have adapted our marketing range to suit our 24-hour society. By mixing traditional marketing and advertising methods with modern day technology we have also been able to attract the attention of every generation.
- All our offices can be found in prime high street locations with prominent backlit window displays.
- The majority of people now start searching for property online. Our website is fully responsive and adapts to the requirements of the mobile device being used, making our website accessible whenever, wherever.
- We advertise on the best websites to provide your property with local, national and international coverage, including rightmove, the UK’s leading property portal.
- Mayhews advertise extensively in local papers every week.
- A distinctive ‘To Let’ board can be erected at your property providing 24 hour advertising .
- We have a large database of waiting tenants to contact whenever a property meeting their criteria hits our books. We carefully select the right tenants based on the established criteria, ensuring that we don’t waste your time or the tenants.
Mayhews dedicated team makes viewing your property easy and straightforward. All of our viewings are accompanied and we will always let you know when a prospective tenant is viewing.
- To minimise disruption and maintain good relations with existing tenants, we can hold Open Days between set times agreed in advance. This also helps ensure your property will look in the same clean condition for every viewing on that day.
- Whilst conducting a viewing our staff can provide prospective tenants with local information including access to transport, shops, quality of schools and leisure facilities.
- We actively encourage our applicants to give honest comments on properties we have contacted them about. We will provide you with regular feedback from viewers and prospective tenants as well as regular updates as to how your let is progressing. You will be assigned to a dedicated member of staff throughout the process, ensuring you have a consistent point of contact.
We will, as a matter of practise, contact you about any offer put forward on your property.
However, just like we provide you with feedback from the viewings about your property, we will also do the same about the potential tenant that has made the offer.
Although we want to get you the best possible price for your rental, we also want to make sure you have the best possible tenant who will best suit your needs over the long term.
We gather extra details about the potential tenant by asking further questions during the enquiry and viewing process. This extra level of questioning really helps our landlords to make a more informed decision on who to proceed with.
We also suggest to landlords that meeting a potential tenant in person at this stage can also provide an extra layer of comfort when deciding who should stay in your property.
Finding suitable tenants is a vital part of letting your property and we feel our tenant selection process is second to none. We take care of all the legal formalities and conduct a number of reference and financial checks to ensure your best interests are looked after.
We carry out strict referencing using a specialist independent referencing company who demand the highest of standards from prospective tenants.
This essential and detailed process gives us an understanding of tenants’ personal and financial circumstances in addition to previous agent/ landlord/accountant references.
7: Management Services to match landlords situation
Letting out a property can be stressful and time-consuming. Showing round prospective tenants, drawing up tenancy agreements, ensuring health and safety laws are adhered to and chasing rent payments are some of the challenges faced by landlords. Our dedicated lettings team can help take these ongoing chores away from you by offering landlords three levels of service.
- Let Only Service
- Let and Rent Collection Service
- Fully Managed + Rent Collection Service
By choosing our Fully Managed service we can make the process of letting and managing your property easy and hassle free, leaving you more time to spend on the things you enjoy.
Fees:Tenants Fees Fully Managed Rent Collection
8: Inventory / Schedule of Condition
An inventory details the contents and the condition of the property. We strongly recommend having an inventory carried out professionally. It provides an accurate record of the properties contents and condition offering clear protection to landlords in the event of any disputes. Mayhews can provide the services of our experienced local independent inventory clerks to carry out all inventory inspections, providing you with an accurate and consistent standard of reporting.
Check-In: The landlord pays for the initial inventory. On moving in, the detailed inventory is checked and agreed with the tenant. You will receive a copy for your approval and retention.
We recommend having your property professionally cleaned before any tenants move in. By using a professional cleaning company you set the standard for the tenants. We can arrange a pre-let clean and any cleaning between tenancies with one of our trusted cleaning contractors.
Check-Out: The tenant pays for the inventory check-out. On moving out the inventory is checked and agreed with the tenant. We then agree the costs, if any, to be held from the tenants’ deposit and passed onto you, subject to the tenant’s agreement.
Inventory updates: The updating ensures that the new tenants have a clear understanding of the condition and more importantly, their responsibility when they move into your property.
9: Security deposits
At the start of a tenancy we will take a security deposit equal to 6 weeks rent. This is held as security against possible damage to the property which can be checked against the inventory at the end of the tenancy. This should ensure that the property is returned in the same condition as when the tenancy started.
The Tenancy Deposit Scheme: As part of the Housing Act 2004, all deposits paid under an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) in England and Wales, now have to be registered with a government approved scheme. We are proud members of The Tenancy Deposit Scheme, operated by The Dispute Service, which provides an independent and impartial method of resolving any differences between landlord and tenant.
10: Property inspections
If you choose the Managed option, we will carry out thorough property inspections on a regular basis, with a detailed inspection report provided to both the tenant and landlord.
The inspections offer a record of the properties rental history and condition throughout a Tenancy. It helps reduce the risks of disputes between the landlord and tenants at the end of a tenancy.